Tuesday, March 13, 2012

On the Topic of International Write Like Gary Gygax Day

There is no reminder in this post that it is International Write Like Gary Gygax Day today. 

That is because the inclusion of such a reminder will either tell you little, Gentle Reader, or it will abridge your freedom with respect to development of your own blog milieu. There are dozens of possible blog posts, each of which will have varying puissance, mutability, or verisimilitude. That is, if such a reminder tells you only a little so as not to force a writing choice upon your blog, the reminder can contain nothing of use.

While this blog is loosely based on Hussite-era Bohemian history and myth, it also contains elements from the Holmesian Kitchen Sink period, parts of my suppressed Id, and the smythos of many other authors as well. Within its boundaries all sorts of posts can exist, and there is nothing to dictate that their needs be Gygaxian. In GAWKER there appeared an article written by me which outlines this very precept and lists a number of posts which can be employed by the blogger in his or her milieu. To aid the harassed blogger, I have listed these types of posts again.

AUTOCRACY. Blog posting which rests in a self-derived and inflated sense of authority about pretending to be an elf in a game in the basement.

GERIATOCRACY. Blog posting ruled by an age-befogged sense of generational entitlement.

And so forth...

(In all seriousness, one thing my recent reread of the DMG has rekindled is my appreciation for the quirky charm of his writing style. It's just not D&D without it.)

21 comments:

  1. By dint of puissant effort, you have achieved the highest epitome of pastiche; and lesser wordsmiths must step forth, such as they can, or cease their caviling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a sorry attempt to get a holiday off from work, Kutalik.

    Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was either that or Confederate War Widows Day.

      Delete
    2. I understand.

      As you were, citizen.

      Delete
  3. Thank you both.

    I will be adding an alphabetical list later of all those persons who in some way contributed to the formation of this post. Naturally, each did not make an equal contribution to the pastiche, and those that I normally play LL with, as well as those who were kind of enough to comment on my G+ thread, had more influence and engendered more ideas than did those others with whom I do not have the privilege of continued virtual association or contact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we have an 'imitate Gary's writing' contest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, it's been a while since I held a dumb pointless contest. Hmm...

      Delete
  5. Perforce, this posting raises my ire. Surely Gygaxian language, devoid of contextual clues, reliant upon breadth of archaic vernacular, can create arduous environs which impede comprehension. Nevertheless my preference is complexity versus simplicity, for the latter is the province of unlearned plebs bereft of fervor for jocularity. Indeed such amusement arrives from bonafide discernment betwixt solemnity and tomfoolery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many persons have the sad misconception that Gygaxian prose comprises nothing more than bombastic oratory without any regard for clarity. This error is obvious to any person who considers the subject with perceptiveness. Care must be taken to ensure that each word is used only in its proper place. YOU CAN NOT HAVE A MEANINGFUL PASTICHE IF STRICT DICTION IS NOT MAINTAINED.

      Delete
    2. I forgot about the use of caps... John, that is awesome!

      Delete
  6. Can you imagine I've learnt English through the AD&D manuals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually owe a fair amount of my own ten-dollar word vocabulary to those books myself.

      Delete
    2. Thanks to Gary, every grognard knows how to use 'abeit'...

      Delete
    3. there's a very interesting article about D&D's effect on the English language found here
      http://phrontistery.info/disq6.html

      oh, and... puissant and so forth

      Delete
    4. I can't frigging believe I mistyped 'albeit'...

      WHERE'S MY BOTTLE?!?!

      Delete
  7. Well done, all! (I can herein only express my appreciation for your efforts, without inscribing additional witticisms of my own, as the hour is quite late and my brain appears to have liquified and been consumed by a coelacanth.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a headache. There's no utility in complex, ambiguous and prolixic writing done for it's own sake. Indeed it often appears to mask insecurities - and it gives me a headache. If you had to learn your vocabulary from game books then your schools should give you your tax dollars back. Grumble, grumble...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite entertaining indeed, gentlemen - Chris for this madcap humor, and the many comments that followed suit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete